ROCKY MOUNTAIN CAMP uses an *Orton-Gillingham approach to tutoring, the most scientifically validated approach to teaching dyslexic children. Each student receives the following instruction daily:
• one hour of one-on-one, intensive tutoring in reading, spelling, writing and composition
• one hour of small-group study hall working on individualized assignments structured by the language therapist to reinforce concepts presented in tutoring
• one hour of composition
• one-half hour of one-on-one oral reading to increase fluency
• one-half hour of keyboarding for older campers and one-half hour of literature circle for younger campers
• additionally, one hour of either art or science
*Orton-Gillingham is an instructional approach that has been scientifically proven to be effective for all students, and necessary for Dyslexic youngsters. The approach is multi-sensory, direct, systematic, cumulative, cognitive, integrated, individualized and emotionally sound. It is most properly understood and practiced as an approach, not a method, program, system or technique.
Campers are tested both pre- and post-camp using a battery of nationally normed tests to evaluate phonemic awareness, decoding, spelling, reading accuracy, fluency, and comprehension. At the end of camp, each parent receives an extensive written report encompassing test results, observations, and individualized academic recommendations.
Sample Daily Schedule
|1:25-1:50||Keyboarding (ages 10 to 12) or Story Time (ages 7 to 9)|
* Individual schedules vary with each camper.